- 4 Star Camps is a leader in running outstanding summer programs.
- Since inception, 4 Star has been family owned and operated. It is not an agency of the University of Virginia.
- We now offer three separate camps at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville - all with their own unique goals and atmosphere - Academics, Golf, Tennis.
- Each summer we bring together an outstanding group of instructors, counselors, Program Directors, and Resident Advisors to ensure a safe and positive experience for our students.
- We are very proud of our professional team who work to provide our students the best experience possible.
- Supervision is clearly our number one priority but other goals include building a caring and supportive environment with attention given to each individual.
- Diversity is important to us - in our community everyone is welcome and respected. Each year we attract young people from all over the country and the rest of the world - people from fascinating and diverse ethnic, cultural and religious backgrounds. We are dedicated to providing an atmosphere of mutual respect and acceptance of people from diverse backgrounds.
- U.S. News and World Report has rated the University of Virginia the top public university in the country.
- The New York Times has declared it "the greatest campus plan in the history of American architecture".
- The University to this day bears the influence of Thomas Jefferson, he conceived it, designed it and built it, hired its original faculty and created its academic mission.
- Jefferson's original "academical village" remains to this day the University's spiritual core - the domed Rotunda, gleaming white columns and red brick pavilions, where faculty still live and conduct classes, open upon the breathtakingly beautiful lawn.
Some of the many great things you may see and do in and around Charlottesville include:
- "The Corner" - bookstores, shops and cafes which have almost become a part of the University.
- The Downtown Mall - an enchanting pedestrian mall with outdoor concerts, dining and art galleries.
- History - nearby you will find Civil War battlefields and the homes of three presidents (Thomas Jefferson, James Madison and James Monroe).
- Culture - over 20 movie theaters, light opera at Ashlawn, concerts on tour and Charlottesville's own Municipal Band.
Patrick and Patti Kearns
Owners and Executive Director
The owners and Executive Directors Patrick and Patti Kearns are long-time residents of Charlottesville, VA. Patrick and Patti moved to Charlottesville in 1995 from Greenwich, Ct when Patrick took the Head Tennis Professional Position at Farmington Country Club and Patti took a nursing position at the University Of Virginia Cancer Center. Patrick and Patti are the parents of Lauren (14) and Hannah (13). Patrick is originally from Owosso, MI and Patti grew up in Vancouver, British Columbia.
Patrick began his tennis career by attending the Professional Tennis Management program at Ferris State University in Big Rapids, Mi. in which he graduated in the fall of 1989. Patrick was in the first Professional Tennis Management class at Ferris State University in 1986 and he has been a USPTA and PTR professional since 1989.
Patrick spent the first two years of his career working at the John's Island Club in Vero Beach, Florida, five years at the Round Hill Club in Greenwich, Ct, and two years at the Country Club of Darien. Mr. Kearns has been the Head Tennis Professional at Farmington Country Club in Charlottesville, Virginia from 1995-2012. Since he arrived in Virginia, he has been awarded the USPTA Virginia Professional of the Year in 1999, 2000, 2007 and 2010 and was the winner of the USPTA Mid Atlantic Professional of the Year in 2000 and 2008.
Mr. Kearns has spoken at numerous conventions and regional tennis conferences on all facets of the tennis industry and has served on many tennis committees and boards helping to promote grass roots tennis. In 2008 he was featured in Club and Resort Business Magazine.
In the spring of 2012 Patrick and Patti purchased 4 Star Camps and their family looks forward to enhancing the camp experience for 4 Star Campers.
Marietta is a business school graduate of George Mason University. For 26 years Marietta has been the administrative director, ensuring that each camper is carefully matched to the best program for them. Selecting a camp can be stressful for both parents and campers and Marietta works tirelessly to provide a customer friendly enrollment experience. She coordinates students getting to camp and runs the show in the camp's administrative office in Springfield, VA. Marietta is the person to contact for camp information and registration.
Christopher "Cubby" Cubbage
Director of Athletics
Chris Cubbage is a USPTA certified tennis teaching professional with 27 years of teaching and playing experience. He has been a Director of Tennis and Head Professional at clubs from Massachusetts to Georgia, he has coached a USTA Zonal Team, been a conference speaker for the New England Division of the USPTA, as well as coached and traveled with several nationally ranked junior players. Chris Cubbage is also the founder of the Matilda Blue Adaptive Tennis Program for children with autism spectrum disorder and on the advisory board for QuickStart Tennis of Central Virginia. His collegiate career prior to focusing on tennis was as a scholarship baseball player at Louisburg Junior College and the University of North Carolina at Wilmington.
PGA Professional and Golf Director
Scott Ezell has been helping golfers improve their games for over 22 years. A collegiate and tour golfer, Scott Ezell moved to Virginia in 1994 and has served both as the University of Virginia's Assistant Golf Coach and Birdwood's Director of Instruction. His expertise and genuine love of working with kids is one of the most outstanding highlights of our golf camp.